And there you have it, folks. The votes have been counted and the finalists for Season 8 of So You Think You Can Dance have been announced.
With one week left to go until the winner is crowned, there are predictions to be made and finales to plan. In the meantime, let's breakdown the events of last night, shall we?
The evening began with a group number choreographed by Justin Giles to Lia Ices' "Grown Unknown." Like a spring festival, the Top 6 danced around a giant rose, trading partners and gliding in and out of lifts with a quiet and peaceful grace. This wasn't the showiest of group numbers, but it's certainly a memorable and beautiful one.
Instead of having the Bottom Four dancers perform solos, we got to see all of the Top 6 give it a go...
- Sasha delivered quirky, interesting choreography and once again proved why she is deserving of the name Sasha Fierce. ("We Gonna Win" by MRI Ben-Ari featuring Styles P)
- Caitlynn looked pretty weak next to Sasha, swapping unique choreography for flailing, desperate movement. ("Touch" by Natasha Bedingfield)
- Melanie is one of the only dancers this season who took the time for some slow, quiet moments in her solos. She didn't try to fill the 30 seconds with trick after trick, and it was all the more gorgeous because of it. ("My Love" by Sia)
- Tadd continued his brand of fantastically entertaining solos. He was jumping on and off the stage, walking down stairs in a handstand and delivering more refined b-boy tricks than usual. Loved it. ("Only So Much Oil in the Ground" by Tower of Power)
- Marko's solo wasn't as great as some of his previous ones (especially Wednesday night's amazing showing). There were too many tumbles and the whole thing was a little too sloppy. ("You Give Me Something (Acoustic)" by James Morrison)
- Ricky certainly danced for his life last night, turning out one of his best solos of the season. It was aggressive, impressive and a great way to finish out last night's solos. ("Requiem for a Tower" by London Music Works and Clint Mansell)
There were two other guest performances last night, the first of which was the Bad Boys of Dance, whose Hall of Fame includes Season 1 champion Nick Lazzarini, Season 3 runner-up Danny Tidwell, Season 6 runner-up Jakob Karr and Season 7 finalist Robert Roldan. This group was chock full of a bunch of tall, really hot guys... and, oh yeah, they were really fantastic dancers. Oh, and there was a girl in there somewhere. American Idol Season 10 contestant Pia Toscano also performed, singing her first single "This Time," which I'm not the biggest fan of (and it wasn't exactly her greatest performance either).
When it was time to announce the results, I was ready to bid farewell to Caitlynn and Ricky, and incidentally enough that's exactly what happened. I love a season in which the right dancers make it to the finale (unlike last season when somehow Adechike was in the Top 4).
Congratulations to Tadd, Marko, Sasha and Melanie. It's going to be a tough decision and I have a feeling it will be quite the bloodbath. Joining the Top 4 will be All-Stars Lauren F. (S7), Robert (S7), Mark (S4) and Joshua (S4). Except quite the exciting thrill ride next week!
Are you happy with the results? Are you excited for the finale? And who are you rooting for in the Top 4?
[Image Source: FOX]